Follow Me

Monday, March 29, 2010

Mary and Martha


"The story of Mary and Martha that is told in Luke 10:38-42 has often been a problem for me." I read this sentence from a blog, m.... yeah, indeed it is a problem for me too, I am a doer more than a talker, I love to dream, but that is only when in my relax mode.

A teaching in a Bible, life application related to our serving today. Usually this lesson to be taught about why not to get yourselves too busy with church activities, each time I listen to this sharing, my questions raised! Did you mean that my involvement are too many? What should I do? Should I just put down everything? Not only me, my comrade has these questions too, she called me this morning to talk over this issue, she is confused and wondering also if she involves too many, and work too hard?

I have another point of view apart from all I could read:

Now as they went on their way, he entered a certain village, where a woman named Martha welcomed him into her home. She had a sister named Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet and listened to what he was saying. But Martha was distracted by her many tasks; so she came to him and asked, "Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me to do all the work by myself? Tell her then to help me." But the Lord answered her, "Martha, Martha, you are worried and distracted by many things; there is need of only one thing. Mary has chosen the better part, which will not be taken away from her" (Luke 10:38-42).
  1. Martha and Mary did not follow wherever Jesus goes, unlike others serving him along the way, that means they don't usually have a chance to listen to Jesus' teaching; I believe Martha would love to hear what Jesus is teaching.
  2. Jesus addresses her "Martha, Martha..." after she complains about Mary, that could mean she is not serving in a joyful heart.
  3. This chance is precious to Martha, the need is to rest and listen to his teaching, which Mary has chosen to listen. Like the time when on Sunday, for those who serve in certain ministry, they ought to have roster, time to rest and being taught, and being equipped. Jesus wants Martha to be equipped and taught. By the way, Martha has greater faith than Mary (John 11:27).
I believe Jesus meant this, Jesus wants Martha to sit together to listen to him, he loves her very much, not that she is not blessed ever after, Jesus is telling her, this is a good time not to be missed, like Mary has made her choice, in another way of inviting Martha: "Come, sit down together!", instead of rebuking for those who are serving and busying, not to forget that in Matthew 20:28 "For even the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve others and to give his life as a ransom for many.”

There are many ministries still need of people on duty during Sunday's service, therefore do not be confused and misuse this story to advise to those who are busying serving during Sunday's service or during events, our service to God and others is still the highest blessings.

If we would have to serve, serve with a joyful heart, do not complain, 1Peter 5:5 "...all of you, serve each other with humility....." God doesn't look at what we do, and how much sacrifice we've offered up, but God looks at our hearts.

So....

Lastly I pray that I am not twisting God's teaching and God's truth, which I am thankful for He is helping me to understand better what me and my comrade are troubling about.

No comments:

Sewing Octopus Etsy MIni Shop

YoU May Also LikE theSe sToRies:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...